Monday, January 18, 2010

Think About It!

In light of recent attacks on religious buildings in Malaysia, I ask myself whether these people who performed these attacks in so-called defending the name of religion...do they actually have a strong foundation of this religion we call Islam?

I do not call myself an expert of Islam as I too am still learning but one thing I know for sure is there needs to be education from an early age of the deep foundations of what our religion stands for..Unfortunately, the way religion is taught in schools during my time was 'recite the Quran'-khatam and that's probably the last time you'd read the Quran except for at funerals or Ramadhan. I don't think I truly appreciated the beauty and wonders of the teachings of our religion...In my humble opinion, learning about Islam when I was younger was more around the do's and don'ts and thus creating a fear that if you didn't do a certain thing-you would go to hell. Less emphasis was on creating a love of our religion and the teachings in which the Quran and the Sunnah represents....Also, I think the elders don't often preach what they say. Our Prophet Muhammad s.a.w (PBUH) led by actions rather than preaching and that was how he was able to influence people's behaviours.
We should all try and do the same...
Below is the link of a good article on Suhaib Webb's blog which I think touches on this issue...appropriately titled 'Think About It!'


Think About It!

Posted using ShareThis

No comments: