Friday, December 23, 2005

Flying on a jet plane....

Sorry I haven't updated the blog for a while.
These last few weeks have been hectic to say the least i.e. work, xmas parties and meeting up with my peeps.

I've been away in Colchester this week for work. Based on what my client told me Colchester is one of the oldest towns in UK and was built up by the Romans all those years ago.
Unfortunately due to job deadlines I didn't really have much time to tour around the town.

On our first night in Colchester my colleague and I went out for Christmas dinner at an Italian restaurant. It was one of those random nights.
First of all, my colleague and I got lost walking to the restaurant. I am really bad at directions except if I can remember landmark buildings. So if you ask me to read an orientation map...sorrylah there is a high probability I will get u lost! hehehe...

Eventually (after a lot of walking around going in circles).. we reached the restaurant and sat down for a Xmas dinner. Suddenly this waiter comes up to me and asked where I came from. I said I was Malaysian and it turned out the waiter was Malaysian too but he had not been back for 35 years!!!!! A rare coincidence to meet another fellow Malaysian in a small town like Colchester.

Throughout the night he would come up to our table for a little chat and we discovered a lot about this interesting guy. His dad was in the Air Force and later brought the whole family to settle down in UK 35 years ago. He attended school in the UK and left school to train as a waiter in one of the top hotels : Dorchester Hotel. He then continued to work in cruise liner ships and moved to Florida to work in the restaurants in Disneyland. He now owns a house in Florida and planned to settle there but had to come back to UK in order to send his son to college here due to some family problems. I asked him whether he would ever settle down in Malaysia again.

He said at this moment in time..the answer is no because he felt that he was Westernized and couldn't adjust back into the culture and life in Malaysia. I felt sad for him because he no longer feels Malaysia is his home anymore.

For me...my heart will always be in Malaysia and I consider it my home. It's strange because if I look back at my life ...12 years of my life has been in UK yet I still feel closer to life in Malaysia. Maybe it's because of the way I have been brought up. Despite all the negative things we often complain about Malaysia i.e. mentality of some people in Malaysia, the non existent work-life balance I feel more at ease settling into the culture and life in Malaysia than in UK. At this moment in time..I still see myself settling back home in maybe three or four year's time.
Who knows...only time will tell.

Anyways, this time tomorrow I will be flying off on a jet plane back home to KL to see my beloved ones for three weeks....So those of you in KL, insya-Allah we will meet up sooon!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: