Thursday, May 24, 2007

Woman In Black


Ivy, Chris & I went to the Women in Black play recently at the Fortune Theatre in the West End. This is one of the longest running plays in the West End and has been one of my wish list as one of the "must see" plays in London.

The screenplay is based on the chilling ghost story novel by Susan Hill. It tells the story of Arthur Kipps a young solicitor who has been sent to Eel Marsh House to wind up the estate of the late deceased Mrs Drablow. No one in the village was willing to help Mr Kipps with his work because they believed the Eel Marsh house was cursed. When he arrives at the house he sees a mysterious women in black....

The play focuses on Arthur Kipps telling his story to an actor who he hoped can help him overcome his experience in the house by reenacting the events to his family & friends.

The play has very simple props and set in a very small theatre. This added to the chiling atmosphere of the play. We were sat two rows from the front stage and I have never been so scared in a play in all my life! Although I knew at the back of my mind this was a fictional play the acting was so brilliant that the audience (myself) included were drawn into the play.
It was my first time where I've heard audiences scream with fright (again myself included!!) and it wasn't just girls screaming ..there were guys screaming tooo!

I'm glad I wasn't spending the night in a country house that night because I would not have had a good night's sleep that night thinking about the play.

Full credit has to be given to the screenplay because without the brilliant screenwriting and acting .. the play would not have been so successful and long running as it is now...I am not surprised that this play has been running for at least 20 years and I am sure it will continue to run for another few more years yet......

Definitely go and watch it if you are prepared to get the fright of your life!

2 comments:

Imran said...

Memang best! Seen it 3 times, and it seems better everytime I see it :)

Wati said...

OMG Imran , even after a few days of seeing the play the image of the woman in her black bonnet and the rocking chair creeps into my head sometimes....but definitely a great play to see!!!