Sunday, January 07, 2007

Italy Trip 2007 part 2

Firenze trip

My cousin and I went for a day trip to Firenze (Florence) which is famous for its leather goods.
It was quite cold but I didn't mind because of the clear skies and the magnificient views.

We visited the Twin Dome church which I found the mosaic architecture fascinating. Firenze is quite a small town so it was easily accessible by foot. We walked around the town..it may not have as much museums or ancient sites to visit but it is definitely one of the most beautiful and picturesque cities I've been. We visited the jewellery shops which were amazing..very tempting to buy... ;p Also visited the leather market....I got some really nice souvenirs and some for moi too...hehehe...





It was also my first time experiencing drinking coffee Italian-style standing up at the counter at the coffee bars...it was pretty cool followed by gelati (yoghurt ice cream which was just yummy!)
Tips:
Communication is a slight problem if you can't speak italian. Luckily I had my cousin with me..but I would recommend that if you ever want to book rail tickets..either buy it from the fast ticket machines which is in English or book online in advance.
The journey takes about 1.5hrs by Eurostar and 3.5hrs by the normal Trenitalia trains..in order to utilise the full day trip in Firenze I'd recommend spending a bit extra on the Eurostar or staying overnight in order to fully enjoy the atmosphere in Firenze..it's such a beautiful place especially along the river......

No comments: